Google Page Creator is an easy way to create your own web pages based on templates made by Google.
Google Page Creator will not work in Safari on an Apple Mac.
If you don't have it, Firefox can be downloaded at
Step 1 Create a Google Gmail account
To create a Google Web Site you will firstly require a Google email account.
• To create a Gmail account, click the link below
Link to enter details to create a Gmail account
• Or if you already have an account, log in at the link below.
Step 2 Create the Google Page Account
Once you have created your email account, use the following link to open the Google Page Creator and login using your new log in details.
Google Page Creator
Step 3 Build a web site
When you login, the Site Manager will be the first page you find.
• Click the the green icon ( Green paper symbol with + sign )
• The text alongside will change from 'Create a new page' to allow you to enter a new title.
• Then click the 'Create and Edit' button.
Adding web pages using the Site Manager
• Click the 'Create a New Page' button (the green icon) to make a new web page
• Add your title as previously and then click the 'Create and Edit.'
Deleting web pages using the Site Manager
• Tick the check boxes alongside the web pages you want to delete
• Click the drop down menu at the bottom of the screen (marked 'More Actions' in the image above)
• Select 'Delete' from the list of options
When the new page opens, click the 'Change Look' button at the top right of the page.
This provides a list of options from which you can
select a suitable page style to work with.
• Click the 'Preview' to see each sample
• A new
web page will open with text/images etc in place so you can see how an 'average' page would look.
• Click the 'Back to Page Editor' link once you have made your selection.
Add a heading and some text to your page.
• You can make adjustments to text eg size / font / style / alignment etc by selecting the text and adjusting it using the list of icons in the row along the top of the screen.
You can also choose from a number of different ways of laying out the content on your web page
Click the 'Change Layout' option at the top right of the screen
• A number of different 'standard' layout options will appear
• Click one of the options and it will be applied to your page and returned to the previous screen.
The next option is to add images.
• Before proceeding it may be necessary to reduce the size and resolution of your image using Photoshop.
The appropriate resolution for the web is 72 dpi.
• With your image open in Photoshop the resolution can be adjusted by choosing the Image > Image Size menu and then resaving in jpg format.
In Google Page Creator -
• Click the 'Cell' in which you want your image to appear.
• Click the link marked 'images'
• The 'Add an Image' window will appear
• Click the 'Uploaded images' Radial Button
• Click the 'Browse' button to find the image on your hard drive that you want to upload
• A preview of your uploaded images will appear in the window
• Click the 'Add Image' button to upload your picture and you will go back to your web page
Google Page Creator lets you make a number of adjustments to your image before it is placed online.
Once the new image appears on the page -
Drag the image to set where you want it to appear
• Or drag the corner points to reposition and scale your image.
The control panel allows you to adjust the image in various ways -
eg size / crop / basic filter effects
To crop the image -
• Click the 'Crop' button on the control panel
• Drag the corner boxes to hide any areas you do not want to be visible.
Click the 'Crop to Selection' button to crop your image
You can add links to other pages in your site / external web pages / email.
• Click the 'Link' button at the top of the screen
The 'Edit Link' window will open -
• Your page allows you to add a link to an existing page in your web site
• Your files would allow you to link a word file or PDF
• Web Address would allow you to link to an external web site
• Email Address allows you to add your email address as a link on the page.
Publishing your work and adding a copyright notice -
Once everything is finished remember to add a copyright line on the page such as...
All images and text are © Iain Morrison 2007
Alt + G = ©
Finally, click the Publish Button at the top of the page to view your new web site.
The example site for this lesson is
Other Free Exhibition Web Spaces
Example of a Gray’s Student Site on flickr